Bullet containment systems
With over 90 years of live fire range experience, Meggitt Training Systems is an expert in ballistic containment and an innovator in best range management practices. Every range project presents its own unique set of circumstances that must be considered when selecting the appropriate bullet trap system. Identifying the shooting activities and the type of weapons and ammunition to be used will influence the type of bullet trap that is the most effective for your range. The environmental performance of the bullet trap must be assessed as well to ensure long-term range sustainability and mitigation of lead hazards.
GranTrap™ granulated rubber bullet trap
Looking for an indoor bullet trap that can meet the many needs of your range? Or an outdoor bullet trap that can withstand the harshest of environments? Look no further than the GranTrap.
Meggitt Training Systems’ GranTrap™ represents the best available bullet trap design technology for bullet capture and containment. Our patented stair-step design uses granulate rubber material to stop incoming rounds. The bullet impacts the soft media and is captured predominately intact, minimizing airborne lead dust, averting backsplatter and ricochet, and minimizing impact noise. This provides a cleaner and safer environment for indoor shooting ranges, and maximizes bullet recovery and recycling processes.
Utilizing the most advanced technology in bullet capture and containment, the Outdoor GranTrap™ is designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions and will not corrode with extensive exposure to sunlight, heat, moisture or chemicals. The stainless steel outdoor GranTrap™ also contain a lightweight plastic mesh screen placed over the GranTex™ granulated rubber material to capture the bullets, adverting back splatter, ricochet and furthering noise reduction. The bullets are safely de-energized and captured intact, providing little-to-no lead dust or bullet fragmentation. The outdoor GranTrap utilizes hot-dipped galvanized steel components and custom designed structural frames which shed water and condensation for long term durability.
There are many benefits to Meggitt’s GranTrap rubber bullet trap:
- CLEANER alternative to steel bullet traps
- Minimizes broken lead particles released at the trap area by capturing rounds intact, averting lead and jacket back splatter.
- Exhaust air filters last several times longer versus steel traps.
- SAFER option for a variety of range training
- Close range shots and acute angled shots make the GranTrap ideal for tactical training in dynamic ranges.
- QUIETER round capture for better range environment
- Due to the porous nature of how the GranTex media gathers and the almost non-existent sound of a round entering the media (versus steel plates), the GranTrap ensures a much quieter firing range.
In addition, the GranTrap offers:
- 12’6” footprint, minimizing building construction cost since no additional space is needed behind the trap.
- Capture of up to 75,000 rounds per shooting point, with the exception of LE7500-50 Cal GranTrap.
- Standard (9’) and custom (8’ and 12’) heights to meet all range requirements.
- Capture of handgun, shotgun (shot and slug included), and rifle (fully automatic and armor piercing included), jacketed, semi-jacketed and non-jacketed standard rounds. Includes rounds up to .308 caliber/7.62mm, including M16/.223 caliber/5.56mm rounds with velocities of 900-3600 ft/sec (274-1097 m/sec) and up to 3600 ft-lbs (4880 N-m) of energy, excluding incendiary/tracer type rounds.
- Meggitt’s GranTex media, made of chopped rubber; predominately free of any cording, threads, fibers, or steel belting pieces.
- Our patented 10 gauge steel-stepped bed plate construction with a gravity-feed design. This allows rubber to remain in place. Unlike competitive traps that have rubber particles continually falling down to the bottom of the trap, Meggitt’s GranTex media stays in place. With our patented stair-step design, we ensure proper GranTex volumes within the primary impact areas for maximum round collection.
- A self-supporting trap, assembled entirely by mechanical fasteners. The overtrap replenishment bin is part of the GranTrap’s frame support assembly and does not require overhead support via chains/cables, bridging or rear wall attachment. No on-the-job cutting or welding is required for assembly.
- Solid construction with rigid tubular steel support stanchions. All parts fit thru 36” wide door openings.
- Incorporation of supplemental safety bins to provide additional ballistic protection.
(GranTrap&trede; is licensed and manufactured under US Patent No 5,171,020; 5,340,117; 5,435,571; 5,607,163; 5,848,794; 5,901,960; 6,000,700; 6,027,120; 6,293,552.)
The 5000 series steel escalator bullet trap
Steel bullet traps are our legacy. We developed the first commercially available steel bullet catcher in the US and have field-proven designs that include pistol and rifle rated steel escalator and venetian blind traps. Building on proven methods and past successes, Meggitt engineers and shooters spent over two years designing and developing a unique trap to accommodate rigorous courses of fire with pistol and rifle rounds. Constructed to set a new standard in projectile containment, the 5000 series surpasses competitors’ traps. The 5000 series rifle and handgun escalator bullet trap offers a low cost and low maintenance solution for indoor and outdoor ranges using fixed firing lines. The design of the impact plates directs bullets into a swirl chamber at the top of the trap for final deceleration. The spent fragments collect in trays for easy cleaning of the bullet trap. Models are available for use with handguns, shotguns, 9mm submachine guns and for ball ammunition fired from high velocity rifles.
Our 5000 series offers additional features such as an optional containment system that safely contains all projectiles, fragments and dust, thus limiting the potential exposure of range personnel to airborne lead dust.
Venetian blind bullet trap
Among our unique innovations in bullet traps is the venetian blind handgun-rated bullet trap. The model LE2400 bullet trap is designed for installations where range space is minimal, as it requires only 30 inches of floor space. The trap is constructed of a series of angled baffles that direct incoming rounds into a deceleration chamber. After their energy is dissipated, the rounds drop into collection trays, accessible from the front of the trap, for easy handling. The LE2400 is rated for all handgun, 9mm submachine gun, and shotgun ammunition.
Rubber lamella trap
The rubber lamella trap features a patented design of multiple layers of rubber strips suspended from a steel support frame. Bullet velocity of incoming rounds dissipates and is absorbed through friction within the lamellas and the bullet is captured virtually intact. Range applications for the rubber lamella trap include crime labs, residential ranges, and other low volume applications.